Learning for Life
Learning for Life through our Sunnyhills GEMS
Welcome to Term 3, Week 6:
Wow... we are on the downhill of Term 3 with only 4 whole weeks to go now! We have so many exciting opportunities happening in the next short while, so it's important to keep up with the calendar and weekly emails!
Monday 26th August:
- 12.40pm French lessons for those learners registered in Room 4
Tuesday 27th August:
- 12.40-1.25pm French Lessons in Room 4 for those learners registered
- 3.10pm Kelly Sports starts for term 3 after school for those registered
Wednesday 28th August:
- Year 5 Tree Planting at Pigeon Mountain.
Thursday 29th August:
- Swimming continues for Year 3 and Year 4 through the Field of Dreams Swimming at Lloyd Elsmore Pool. It is essential that students bring togs, 2 towels (normal size for drying, not hand towels), warm clothes and slip on shoes. Name everything!
- Kapa Haka practise at 8.30am
Friday 30th August:
- 8am French lessons for those learners registered in Room 4
- From 7am - 8.30am the PTA Father's Day Breakfast. If you can help at this event please email email@example.com
- Daffodil Day Mufti - please bring a Gold coin donation and wear yellow and or green if possible to show your support. All learners who donate will receive a daffodil sticker to support the Cancer Society.
- 11am: Good luck to our massive and amazing Kapa Haka group today performing at the HPPA Koanga Festival at Cockle Bay School. Parents, whanau and supporters welcome!
- No assembly this week.
- Young Guns Skate School - register via email firstname.lastname@example.org
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Whakamānawa - honour
E kore e hekeheke, he kākano rangatira
A noble heritage will never perish
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
We are collecting all readers in by the 20th of September so that a book audit can be done in the last week of this term. Please start checking for any extra school readers that you may have at home and return them to your child's teacher or the school office.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Travelwise: Y3-6 Biking or scootering Permission
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
NZEI Principal Collective Update:
Thank you for your recent support of Principals (and teachers) with our collective agreements. Last week principals across the country voted to accept the offer. As discussed previously we are still needing to continue to support working conditions for principals of smaller schools. While on paper we may have obtained parity with our school size pay scale, secondary principals receive multiple allowances enhance their working conditions compared to the primary sector. This will be a continued focus of negotiation over the next 3 years.
Ngā mihi nui
Ms. Justine Driver, Principal.
What makes Sunnyhills such a unique school?
It is a place where children are articulate, caring and respectful, displaying a strong sense of citizenship; a place endorsed by a safe and nurturing community. Our parents have high expectations of their children, matched by unconditional support. At Sunnyhills we strive to unlock the potential in every child as we grow lifelong learners.
Our business first and foremost is children’s learning; preparing our young people with the skills they need for the future. The Sunnyhills’ ‘Learning for life’ philosophy fosters independence, curiosity and critical thinking. Students are engaged, and lead their own learning pathways through inquiry based topics. They display a ‘have a go’ attitude and are not afraid to take responsible risks.
Opportunities, both inside and outside the classroom are plentiful and diverse. Children’s learning is supported by high quality teaching, well resourced classrooms, a music and environmental educational specialist teachers and we have learning assistants in all of our junior classrooms. The Arts, sports and culture are valued and are an integral part of our varied programme.
Ms. Justine Driver, Principal
Have you downloaded our app?
A great portal for you to keep connected with daily notices from each whanau, report an absence or lateness, direct links to Facebook (so you don't need to be a member to view our page), links to the website and Kindo/Our Shop for payments and lunches. Get it on your device today!
So here's the link: https://bit.ly/sunnyhillsapp
To add the app as a “Home Screen” do the following:
iOS Devices (iPads, iPhones) – Open Safari first: enter address, select the share box, and select “Add to Home Screen.”
Android Devices – Open Chrome: enter address, click three dots on the top right, and select “Add to Home Screen.”