Bring Your Own Device
Future Focussed Learning
Our children are entering a world that is looking for abilities far different from the traditional. We want them to be able to collect, synthesise and analyse information and then work collaboratively with others to apply that knowledge. They need to learn how to learn and to respond to the constantly changing technologies and social and global changes in the world.
Bring Your Own Device Setup
Before you bring a device to school - drop in sessions
From 2020 all year 3-6 learners who have not previously bought a device to school and wish to bring one will need to attend a drop in session BEFORE the device is bought to school.
Learners who were already bringing a device in 2019 will complete this setup during class time in 2020 they do not need to attend one of these sessions.
During these sessions learners and their families will:
- Setup devices to run on our school network
- Ensure you have read and signed our school BYOD and Citizenship agreements
- Receive advice on device use and monitoring at home
It is likely to take about 10 - 20 minutes to get through the process.
We recommend a Chromebook for students who are
bringing a device to school in year 3-6.
What to look for in a device:
- Light Weight
- Great battery
- Tough casing
- Auto-update life of 3 years or more (details here for Chromebooks)
Why a Chromebook?
- Easy login process for students
- Chromebooks work seamlessly in the Google Environment
- Cloud-based storage
- Automatically complete software updates without disruption
- Light-weight and great battery life
- Less on-device distractions
- Easy to powerwash - reset to factory settings if there is an error
- Don't currently require anti-virus software
Bring Your Own Device allows students to have one-to-one time on a device that is set up to their specifications for their learning. This has many benefits, including:
• enabling students to take increasing responsibility for their own learning
• empowering students to learn at a pace and place as well as a way which suits them
• teaches students how to discern what tool will best help with their learning
• encouraging and enabling teachers to more easily implement personalised learning
• prepares students for a future where they are likely to be working in an environment with increasing amounts of technology and IT/collaborative/cloud based tools.
As part of our learning at Sunnyhills school we help students to develop their digital citizenship. Our learning resources for this are on our SHINE Online site. Our SHINE Online site also has a parent resources page where you can find a wealth of resources to help you continue to develop citizenship at home.
Sunnyhills School is a Netsafe school. We regularly review and improve our policies, procedures and curriculum related to digital citizenship to ensure we're providing the best possible learning environment and experiences for learners both online and offline.
GSuite for Education and Hapara
How does Google Suite for Education (previously GAFE) work?
The Google Suite for Education (GSuite) offers apps for email, calendar, blogs, documents, presentations and website creation as well as Google Drive, which is a way of organising all of the work done on these apps. The use of these apps are free and can be used in ‘the cloud’ - a collaborative environment where others can access and work on documents together in real time. GSuite allows students to access their work from school, home, the local library - anywhere with an internet connection.
What is Hapara Teacher Dashboard?
Hapara Teacher Dashboard is an interface which brings together the tools of GSuite in an overview style so that teachers can access, set tasks, mark and comment on work completed in the GSuite. It gives teachers the ability to oversee an entire class of work, like they would a class set of exercise books. It also allows teachers and senior school staff the ability to oversee all the activity of any student account. This gives the ability to do a range of things, including, but not limited to: changing passwords if students forget them or suspending an account if the Student Responsibility Agreement is breached. You can read more about Teacher Dashboard here: https://hapara.com/products/g-suite/